HOW WE HELP
The Y is so much more than you may know. We are more than a place for a quick morning workout; we’re on the leading edge of chronic disease prevention. We are more than a place for older adults to get a cup of coffee; we’re a vital social network of support. The Y is so much more than a place to go; it’s a place where people from all backgrounds come together to make their communities stronger.
Explore the many ways the Y strengthens community and consider how you can support our cause today.
The Y. So Much More™ GIVE NOW >
POTENTIAL OF TODAY'S YOUTH
At the Y, we don’t just teach swimming lessons or coach soccer: We ensure that the nine million children and teens in our programs reach their full potential by helping them grow—physically, mentally and socially—from young children into engaged, active members of their communities.
Y programs support youth development from cradle to career in thousands of communities across the country, building strong kids and strong futures for us all.
- The Y is one of the largest providers of camp programs. There are over 1,840 day camps across the country, 300 resident camps for youth and teens and many specialty camp programs that meet the diverse needs of children and teens, such as youth with disabilities and illnesses.
- Ys nationwide serve 934,000 kids and adults through summer day and resident camp programs. In addition, more than 423,000 youth, teens, families, school and retreat groups are served each year with group camping overnight programs.
- The Y gives youth early work experience, employing an estimated 61,000 college-aged young adults as summer resident camp leaders each year, guiding their career interests in youth development work.
- Tens of thousands of teens are enrolled in “Leader in Training” and “Counselor in Training” programs every summer at YMCA day and resident camps that teach valuable leadership skills.
LEARN MORE ABOUT Y CAMP.MORE >
LEADING THE WAY TO
The Y is more than a place to get physically active; it's a driving force behind living a healthy and full life. Working with local communities, Ys are involved in system, policy and environmental changes that help individuals of all ages and backgrounds grow healthier.
Over the past decade, local leaders reported Ys having influenced more than 39,000 changes, positively impacting up to 73 million lives.
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA
- LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is a small-group program that helps adult cancer survivors reclaim their health and well-being following a cancer diagnosis.
- Participating YMCAs create a welcoming community in which survivors can improve their strength and physical fitness, diminish the severity of therapy side effects, develop supportive relationships and improve their quality of life.
- More than 2,000 certified instructors at Ys nationwide have served over 29,000 cancer survivors.
- The program is available in over 400 communities across 37 states.
LEARN MORE ABOUT LIVING HEALTHIER AT THE Y.MORE >
SUPPORTING OUR NEIGHBORS
The Y responds to our communities’ most critical social needs, helping individuals in 10,000 communities nationwide reach their full potential.
Our wide-ranging work includes ensuring children have access to healthy meals, giving individuals the training and tools to succeed, helping diverse populations connect to their community, advocating with policymakers for change and empowering volunteers to give back. Every effort makes a difference.
VOLUNTEER AT THE Y
- Participate in opportunities to give back in meaningful service projects that help your neighbors and your community.
- Mentor and support youth in building the character strengths, skills and relationships that lead to smart choices, better health and the pursuit of goals.
- Coach sports teams, team classes, or extend a hand to help adults do and be more.
- Through the Y's Togetherhood™ program, members lead and participate in volunteer service projects to benefit their community.