Cornmeal Crusted Vegetables
- 1/4 lb green beans, stems cut off
- 1/4 lb bell peppers (variety of colors cut into thin strips)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Set the oven to 450 °F.
- Remove stems from green beans and cut bell peppers into thin strips (dispose of seeds).
- Set up your breading station! On one plate, spread out the flour. Crack both eggs into a bowl, add the milk and beat lightly with a fork. On another plate, spread the cornmeal, salt, black pepper, paprika and garlic powder and mix them up with your fingers.
- Spread a small amount of oil or butter across a baking sheet.
- A few at a time, take the green beans and bell pepper strips and dredge them in the flour. Next, transfer the flour-covered beans to the egg mixture. Cover the beans and bell peppers lightly with egg mixture, being careful to shake off any excess egg. Then transfer to the cornmeal mixture and coat them evenly.
- Carefully spread the crusted green beans and bell peppers onto the baking sheet. Repeat until you've done them all. If you run out of any of the three mixtures, just mix up a bit more.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden and crispy. Enjoy hot with your favorite dipping sauce!
Special thanks to Leanne Brown for this recipe! For more delicious budget-friendly recipes and a free PDF of her cookbook, Good and Cheap: Eat Well on $4/Day, please visit www.leannebrown.com.
FTC Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored.