ASSOCIATE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Return to Search • Email to a Friend • Print
YMCA: YMCA of Western North Carolina Inc.
Location: Asheville, NC
Under the direction of the District Executive Director, and consistent with the Christian mission of the YMCA, the Associate Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the development and operation of all operational areas including Membership, Youth Development, Wellness, Aquatics, and Programs. This position assist with the recruitment, training and support of all assigned staff in delivering the highest level of programming to YMCA members, guests and program participants through experienced, quality, efficient and courteous delivery of services.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree and/or a minimum of seven years direct supervisory and management experience to include staff development, marketing, financial management, public relations, fund raising and community program development.
- YMCA of the USA Team Leader designation with course work in Volunteerism and Group Work required within first 180 days. Multi-team or Branch Leader Certification or ability to secure within two years preferred.
- Current certification in all related safety certifications or ability to secure within 60 days (CPR, First Aid, AED).
- Ability to recruit, train and supervise high quality staff and volunteers, facilitate communication and provide leadership.
- Must be attentive to details. Be able to work with and meet deadlines, and take initiative to develop and provide information and controls necessary for efficient office operations.
- Must have excellent communications skill (oral and written).
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to take initiative in making decisions and solving problems within the scope of assigned responsibilities.
- Must work independently with little supervision.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ascend and descend stairs and ladders
- Lift equipment (up to 50 lbs)
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to quickly access various locations around the facility and off-site program areas.
- Communicate verbally with good voice projection
The Ideal Candidate Possesses
- Models and teaches the Y's values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Can provide volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Has the ability to cultivate relationships to support fund-raising.
- Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
- Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Has the ability to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
- Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
All employees have the following expectations:
- Perform quality work within given deadlines and expectations with or without direct supervision
- Interact professionally with other employees, members, program participants, volunteers, and other individuals within the community, always being mindful of the YMCA's four core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility
- Serve effectively as a team contributor on all assignments
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other appropriate individuals
Supervision responsibilities include:
- Ensure high quality programming through innovative program development, evaluations and on-going staff training.
- Recruit, train, evaluate and supervise all full-time directors.
Supervise Directors/Managers/Coordinators in the following areas :
Participate in Duty/ On Call responsibilities and oversee the MOD schedule.
- Support program directors by overseeing the development, promotion and management of all programs in a manner consistent with YMCA of Western North Carolina standards.
- Develop performance standards for all direct reports, conduct mid-year and annual performance reviews.
- Facilitate staff meetings and assist with professional staff meetings and retreats.
- Other responsibilities include:
- Serve as directed on association task forces or program cabinets.
- Develop relationships with collaborative agencies focused on community development and population health through YMCA programming.
- Work with the District Executive Director to continue developing the Center Advisory Committee and assist with all program and membership related sub-committees.
- Assure compliance with state and local regulations. Ensure that program standards, emergency action plans and other safety protocols are met and safety procedures are followed.
- Gather data and reports as required for assigned program areas.
- Develop, manage and review departmental budgets related to the operation of the center.
- Provide leadership and support to the Annual Support Campaign and volunteer committees/boards as assigned.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships within the community.
- Directly manage all programming and membership efforts to support membership growth and retention.
- Ensure branding, communication and marketing meet Association standards for all responsible Centers.
- Ensure management and maintenance of the facility and equipment.
- Responsible for all administrative paperwork and records for program reporting.
- Ensure that all program course information is prepared for inclusion into the membership and program data base/operating system.
- Coordinate the development and management of center programs to meet the needs of the community and achieve association operating objectives.
- Prepare statistical, analytical, and narrative reports regarding programs and operations of the Centers as needed.
- Responsible for other duties assigned by the District Executive Director.
- Effect on End Result
The Associate Executive Director is responsible for the operational success of the Centers. This position is primarily concerned with ensuring quality programs, sound fiscal management and building positive long-term relationship with members and staff. The Centers are viewed as a resource to the total association as it strives to meet its mission and goals. Therefore, successful fulfillment of this position should be measured by:
- Continued growth of the budget, membership, financial development and program enrollment.
- Increased utilization of volunteers in YMCA programs.
- Achieving the sustaining membership campaign goal.
- High staff morale and low turnover
- YMCA Focus Areas are evidenced in all programs
- Clean and safe facilities
- Positive member relationships and feedback and an increase in overall membership retention
- Assists in the achievement of center and/or association operating objectives.
Salary: $42,686 - $60,029
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete online application
Apply Online: http://www.ymcawnc.org/careers/available-positions
Apply By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes until: 9/10/2014
Contact: Christopher Wiener