Aquatics Director/Head Swim Team Coach
The Harrison County YMCA is seeking a dynamic, motivated individual to lead our Aquatics Department and competitive swim team program.
Under the direction of the CEO, the Aquatics Director/Head Swim Coach oversees the overall operations of the indoor pool, including programs and activities. Provides leadership and direction to a competitive swim team (Harrison Area YMCA Swim Team) consisting of approximately 70 swimmers during the winter season, including but not limited to management of part-time and volunteer coaches and staff, attending all practices and meets, communications between swim parent association and ensuring that the program operates and performs at optimal levels.
This position includes overall supervision of all pool operations and programs, such as swim lessons, aquatic group exercise classes, lifeguard management, pool rental scheduling and all other aquatics activities.
- Bachelor's degree in physical education, recreation administration or related field.
- Previous experience with aquatics-related programming/supervision and experience with competitive swimming.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are a must. Must be able to work independently and make sound decisions with good judgment.
- Ability to operate a computer and various programs is essential for the position.
- Must have the ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to recruit, train, motivate and evaluate aquatics staff team.
- Ability to manage staff certification records and training compliance.
- Monitors daily pool operations and ensures adherence to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Develop and maintain department annual budget. Oversee purchasing of supplies, chemicals and other aquatics equipment.
- Manage aquatics department payroll duties. Schedule regular staff meetings with aquatics team. Serve as substitute instructor for programs as needed.
- Assist with marketing and promotion of aquatics programs and swim team enrollment. Evaluate programs on a consistent, regular basis, making improvements where deemed necessary to improve program quality.
- Incorporate the YMCA's values into all programs and events. Assist with fundraising efforts as required.
- Coordinate pool scheduling for programs, swim teams (including pool use for 5 local high school teams' practices), lessons, rentals and birthday parties.
- Ability to respond accordingly to safety and emergency situations.
- YMCA experience preferred, but not required.
- Mission Advancement - Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Cultivates relationships to support fundraising.
- Operational Effectiveness - Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
- Decision Making - Integrates multiple thinking processes and strategies to function effectively. Anticipates where challenges and obstacles may be and creates a plan and strategizes accordingly.
- Change Capacity - Manages implementation of change by understanding and addressing the impact of change on cultures, systems and people.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field
- Red Cross or equivalent Lifeguard Certification
- Red Cross or equivalent CPR/AED and First Aid Certification
- Certified Pool Operator (CPO) Certification preferred
- Red Cross Trainer in Lifeguarding, CPR/AED and First Aid preferred
- Child Abuse Prevention and Bloodborne Pathogen - within 60 days of hire
- YMCA Principles of Competitive Swimming Certification - within 60 days of hire
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.