This is an outstanding opportunity for an accomplished visionary!
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Superior-Douglas County YMCA is hired by and reports directly to the Board of Directors. It is essential that the next CEO be an engaging charismatic leader who aligns resources and efforts that address the needs of the service area. The person is accountable and responsible for creating the organization's long term strategy objectives with board involvement. The person must have strong fiscal management experience, strategic planning and leadership skills. The skills to take initiative, motivate, delegate and lead others successfully are also necessary components. Organization goals will be met by ensuring that ambitious membership development, operational and financial plans, funding, community outreach and partnerships, as well as advocacy, are implemented in order to create the highest impact program outcomes. By convening important community leaders, partners, funders, public, faith based, governmental and other nonprofits, the CEO will extend the organization’s reach and continually highlight the leadership role of the Y. This is an outstanding opportunity for an accomplished visionary with a distinguished track record in operational excellence, team leadership and fund development to play a critical role in community impact.
Salary Range and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience. Hiring range is $75,000 - $100,000, annualized. Benefits include a defined contribution plan with 10% YMCA paid 2% employee paid. Health and dental benefits are also provided.
The Superior-Douglas YMCA Association Information
The Superior-Douglas Y has offered health and fitness programs for people of all ages, incomes and abilities for many years. The focus is on overall wellness, empowering anyone to plan toward healthier living by choosing how you will accomplish your wellness goals. The whole approach means we offer many options and lots of support to choose the path to a healthier lifestyle. Our facility offers the following amenities:
Family Pool/Lap Pool: The family pool features a zero depth entry and a 100 foot water slide. This four lane 25 yard lap pool is the perfect place for the lap swimmer or swim team.
Fitness Center: The fitness center provides excellent cross-training benefits with both strength training and cardiovascular equipment.
Gymnasium: From adult leagues, to youth sports, to open time, the gym offers something for everyone.
Running/Walking Track: A great place to walk indoors on a surface made for walkers/runners. While using the track you can watch the activity below in the gym or look outside through the windows on every corner.
Racquetball Courts: One court is available for racquetball, handball or walleyball.
Licensed Child Care: The Y provides high-quality programs that are family-centered and values-based to nurture children’s healthy development. We provide a safe place for children to learn foundational skills, develop healthy trusting relationships and build self-reliance through the Y values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
The Superior Y is proud to offer quality programing in the following areas: Health and Fitness, Group Exercise, Personal Training, Youth Sports, Swim Lessons, Day Camp, School Age Child Care, Licensed Child Care, 4K program, Water Exercise, Silver Sneakers, and Pickelball. The Y also has many opportunities for active older adults to enrich their lives, and improve their health & well-being.
Staff: The Superior Y is staffed by team members who are committed and passionate about the Y and value their opportunity to give back both inside and outside of our Y. This group includes, Program Operations Director, Health Enhancement Coord, Child Care Director, Aquatic Director, Aquatic Coord, Membership Coord, Youth and Family Coord, Business Manager, Property Manager
$1.8M - Operating Budget
$0 - Capital Debt
$490,000 - Endowment fund
$77,000 - Annual Campaign
$9,000 - United Way
Board Members: 15 volunteer members; 7 Board of Trustees
The Superior/Douglas County Area: Douglas County and its unique communities are nestled on the western tip of the Great Lake Superior. Whether you are looking for incredible scenery, rich history, rare attractions, colorful events or year-round recreational opportunities, Douglas County has something to fit your needs. The area has much to offer visitors and residents alike, including both historical and natural sites, as well as industry and a growing economy.
For more information: https://www.superiorchamber.org
Target Dates for the Search Process
Resumes accepted through:July 31, 2017
Preliminary interviews:August 23, 2017
In-Person final interviews:September 6, 2017
Candidate starts:October 2017
Questions regarding this opportunity should be directed to:
Anne Koo Thornquist
Region Director, CEO Search
YMCA of the USA
Questions about the Y should be directed to:
YMCA of the USA
Minimum Criteria for Candidates:
- Accredited 4-year college degree.
- A proven track record of budgetary and fiscal management in excess of 800K or more annually
- Minimum five years prior experience in a senior management role with the YMCA or related experience at a comparable organization with direct supervision of multiple levels of staff and employees.
- The ability to oversee the development of new programs and to review and enhance programs being offered or considered for both economy and effectiveness in broadening our engagement with the communities in which we serve.
Preferred Criteria for Candidates:
- YMCA Organizational Leader Certification (or obtain within 3 years of employment).
- Fiscally sound business management approach.
- Strategic planning and fundraising experience including annual campaigns and the securing of grants.
- A track record of inspiring and developing volunteers boards and employees.
Key Deliverables and requirements for the CEO include, but are not limited to:
- Build and Manage Staff Team: Evaluate the current strengths and weaknesses of all key staff and create a plan to build unity, encourage teamwork, and foster individual staff development.
- Advocate the YMCA Vision within the Community: Act in word and deed as an ambassador for the mission and vision for the YMCA within the community. Communicate the Y strategies as outlined in the Strategic Plan while actively interacting with YMCA members, donors, and staff and volunteers. Be seen and respected as a leader within the community, proactively creating collaborations while always upholding the highest standards of the values of the YMCA.
- Develop a Strategy to Lead Fund Raising Efforts: Create and execute annual fundraising plans to ensure an increase in financial support for the organization. This includes the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of the donor base to support current operations, community development and long-term financial stability. Seek ways to grow endowment funds, foundation grants, special events, community collaborations and creative revenue streams necessary to support and sustain the needs of the YMCA.
- Improve Operational Performance: Work with leadership team to address specific areas that are in need of improvement or expansion including, increase marketing and awareness; program evaluation and services offered. Create and develop new and long-term revenue streams, establishing programs that impact community needs and increase the long-term financial stability of the organization. Successfully integrate any new programming leading to superior results in programs, membership and community engagement.
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.