Join the growing Piedmont Family YMCA as we open the NEW Brooks Family YMCA this summer!
This position directs and plans the preparation of reports that summarize and forecast YMCA business activities and financial positions in areas of income, expenses and earnings based on past, present and expected operations. The position also oversees and manages funds and accounts, establishes budgets, approves expenditures and provides guidance to ensure the financial solvency of the organization.
The Piedmont Family YMCA Controller is also responsible for the human resource function, which includes maintaining all personnel records, creating and posting all required forms for payroll and other personnel-related recordkeeping, ensuring new hire data is complete and required background checks are obtained timely, and working with employees to support other human resource activities.
The Controller supports the work of the Piedmont Family YMCA, a leading Charlottesville nonprofit, committed to strengthening the community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Presently, there is one staff accountant who supports the financial function of the YMCA. Additional staff may eventually come on board based on the expanded workload of the new Brooks Family YMCA facility, opening in mid-2017.
The controller candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience for a major company or non-profit organization. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant designation.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Manage outsourced functions (Payroll)
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives
- Oversee the accounting operations of other departments, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
- Ensure that pledges and accounts receivable are reported accurately and timely
- Process payroll in a timely manner
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Issue timely and complete financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of the annual audit
- Prepare periodic reports to Y-USA and other entities
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of YMCA operations
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide for a system of management cost reports
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Handle all local and state tax compliance issues, including reconciling quarterly payroll reporting, business license compliance reporting and any special requests received.
- Maintain insurance coverage in several areas, such as directors’ E&O, general liability, facility insurance, workers compensation and employee benefit insurance.
Mission Advancement: Incorporates the Y’s mission and values into the organization’s vision and strategies. Ensures community engagement; promotes the global nature of the Y. Leads a culture of volunteerism ensuring engagement, inclusion, and ownership. Leads a culture of philanthropy.
Collaboration: Advocates for and institutionalizes inclusion and diversity throughout the organization. Initiates the development of relationships with influential leaders to impact and strengthen the community. Is recognized as an inspirational community leader who navigates complex political and social circles with ease. Communicates to engage and inspire people within and outside the YMCA. Ensures that a talent management system is in place and executed effectively.
Operational Effectiveness: Possesses penetrating insight and strong strategic and critical thinking skills. Invests resources in well-designed innovation initiatives. Creates a structure to deliver organization-wide results to achieve objectives. Develops and implements stewardship strategies. Determines benchmarks and ensures appropriate leadership to meet objectives.
Personal Growth: Creates a learning organization. Effectively drives change by leveraging resources and creating alignment to expand organizational opportunities. Shares authority and demonstrates courage andhumility. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.