Senior Program Director of Youth Achievement
Outstanding career opportunity for an experienced, cause-driven leader to take a thriving program and branch to the next level.
The Youth Achievement YMCA is a program services branch in the YMCA of Rock River Valley association, with operating revenue of approximately $2.4 million, serving over 2,000 young people and families every day. Some of the programs we provide include Elevate GED, Achievers, Walking School Bus, Americorps and Teen Centers, Y-Learning (tutoring), ACT/SAT Academy and Teen REACH.
Our largest program, Kids’ Time (before and after school), serves over 1,100 families in the region through 24 program sites that serve approximately 30 schools, with operating revenue of approximately $1.5 million.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the Youth Achievement YMCA, the Sr. Program Director will lead and oversee operations for the Kids’ Time arm of the branch, including program quality and evaluations, program retention, staff development, program development, grant fidelity and reporting, and board liaising. The Sr. Program Director will bring his or her experience to a leadership team of 3 full time staff and additional part time leadership staff. The Sr. Program Director, as needed and as qualified to do so, will also assist the Executive Director in ensuring the delivery of the following executive functions:
- Board Development
- Fund Development
- Staff Leadership Development
- Fiscal Management
- Program & Membership Quality
- Community Development
Founded in 1858, the YMCA of Rock River Valley is one of the longest standing community organizations in the Northern Illinois region. YMCA of Rock River Valley is a $12,000,000 operation, serving the Rockford community and surrounding area from six branches committed to our areas of focus. Our Y’s history is embedded in the roots of Rockford and serves over 50,000 members through programs and services that strengthen spirit, mind and body.
Located 90 miles west of Chicago in the heart of the Midwest, Rockford, IL is a vibrant community of about 150,000 people. Situated by a scenic riverfront downtown with an abundance of restaurants and shops, residents of Rockford experience the benefits, affordability and charm of a small-town community growing with the progression and vision of a big city. Learn more about the direction of the Rockford community:
The Transform Rockford mission is to facilitate the creation and implementation of a strategic plan by the community for the purposes of dramatically improving the social and economic well-being of the community and its residents. The initiative is about true transformation – not just incremental improvement – in which everyone’s thoughts and voices will contribute to its success. This inclusive approach is based on the belief that better ideas and plans come to the forefront when those affected the most have input throughout the process of making the plans.
Benefits & Compensation
YMCA of Rock River Valley embraces the total rewards philosophy. In addition to competitive salaries and rewards programs, the Y offers a robust benefits package to include:
- Full Time Exempt $40,000-$45,000; Salary is dependent upon experience & qualifications
- 70% Employer Paid Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Supplemental Life & LTD
- 8% Employer Retirement Fund Contribution
- Complimentary Family YMCA Membership & Program Discounts
- Relocation Expense Reimbursement & Funding Available
- Continued Education Reimbursement Program
- PTO including Holidays and up to 20 vacation days per year
The qualified candidate will hold a Bachelor’s Degree in human services, child development, organizational leadership, non-profit management, recreation, social services, business, or a related field. Candidates should demonstrate a successful track record in management of large programs and services, including 5+ years of demonstrated success in program management, evaluation and quality, volunteer recruitment, staff development, employee engagement and fiscal management. The incumbent will also demonstrate proven success in program retention and innovation.
1. Coordinates the development and delivery of excellent programs and services, ensuring all standards for program quality and innovation are met.
2. Ensures systems, policies and procedures are in place for efficient and smooth operations.
3. Represents and promotes the YMCA in the local community and develops positive working relationships with other organizations, businesses, and governmental entities. Develops, maintains, and models collaborative relationships with community agencies in service delivery area.
4. Oversees the hiring, training, and supervision of staff.
5. Develops, manages, and monitors the departmental operating budget, and meets or exceeds budget targets.
6. Directs departmental strategic planning efforts, develops and ensures implementation of the annual operating plan of the branch.
7. Develops and directs high quality, relationship-based family and participant engagement strategies. Models relationship-building skills in all interactions with staff, volunteers, members, and the community.
8. Fosters a climate of innovation to develop member-focused programs, which support the Y mission, goals, and strategies.
9. Ensures the safety and maintenance of high quality program sites and equipment.
10. Working with the Marketing Department and other resources, directs program marketing and communication efforts to effectively communicate to the community.
11. Serves as a member of branch and association leadership team, and actively supports the overall objectives of the YMCA of Rock River Valley.
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Y’s values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCA’s efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.