The San Luis Obispo YCMA is located on the beautiful Central Coast of California! visit: Sloymca.org
San Luis Obispo, CA
Under the supervision of the COO, and in cooperation with other YMCA staff, and consistent with the San Luis Obispo County YMCA’s mission, the Member & Marketing Director directs all aspects of membership for the association including (but not limited to) recruitment of new members, retention of existing members, supervises assigned staff, and is responsible for the administration, supervision, and implementation of a successful YMCA member services program. Works in coordination with the COO as the designer/coordinator of the association’s marketing, PR materials and communication. This includes serving as the association’s webmaster and creator of association member email notices. Responsible for training staff, supporting volunteers, scheduling member services meetings, acting as a liaison to core staff, maintaining a successful budget, and editing and correcting marketing materials.This position is also responsible for the supervision, scheduling, and coordination of the member services counter and Kids’ Gym staff.
1. At least one year of experience in membership service preferred.
2. Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
3. Ability to direct programs through supervision of volunteers and staff, development and monitoring of budgets, marketing and public relations, program development and fund-raising.
4. Previous experience supervising staff.
5. Prefer knowledge of and previous experience with, diverse populations.
6. Ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations.
7. YMCA Team Leader or Multi-team/Branch Leader certification preferred.
1. Develops, implements, and manages operating plans to promote membership growth and fitness programs for the YMCA. Executes strategies to ensure that members and program participants connect with one another and connect with the YMCA.
2. Develops and controls department budgets related to the position with the assistance of COO and CEO.
3. Recruits, hires, trains, and supervises staff in assigned areas. Facilitates communication and provides leadership. Models relationship-building skills in all interactions.
4. Provides leadership and support to the annual fundraising campaign and volunteer committees
as assigned. Develops and maintains effective working relationships within the community.
5. Assures compliance with state and local regulations. Ensures that membership standards are met and safety procedures are followed.
6. Ensures high quality member-focused programs through innovative program development, evaluations and ongoing training of staff.
7. Coordinates special events and activities related to membership/wellness.
8. Provides data and reports as required for assigned programs.
9. Operate at all times within the policies of the Organization.
10. Interviews and/or tours prospective members.
11. Provides excellent service to members, guests, and program participants in the facility and on the phone, contributing to member retention.
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Ys values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCAs efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds
and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community
leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources
for the development of others.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Live scan clearance
- Within 30 days of hire: CPR/AED, and First Aid, Child Abuse prevention training, Blood Borne Pathogens training as required
- Certifications need to remain current during employment
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.