Senior Director - Financial Development
Located in Southern California, we are looking for a local candidate to make our Y a charity of choice.
Thousand Oaks, CA
Serves as a member of the President / CEO’s leadership team, providing strategic leadership in financial development to advance the YMCA’s mission through annual giving, government and foundation grants, endowment bequests and gifts and capital campaigns. Assists the President / CEO in developing an actively engaged fundraising volunteer board of directors, and in positioning the YMCA as a “charity of choice” for the investment of donations within the local community through a culture of philanthropy.
1. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
2. Three or more years of professional experience with a background in fundraising in the YMCA or another not-for-profit preferred.
3. Ability to relate to top community leaders and diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
4. Working knowledge of giving and charitable vehicles.
5. Ability to create interpretive materials to enable potential donors to understand the YMCA and how they contribute to the achievement of its mission.
6. Knowledge of the media and its use in gaining exposure for YMCA events and programs.
7. Foundation and government grant writing expertise.
8. Criminal records clearance.
9. Driving record that is acceptable to our insurance carrier.
1. Directs and coordinates association capital development, annual campaign and endowment programs.
2. Meets mutually established annual fundraising goals.
3. Serves as primary staff to the Philanthropy Committee and other assigned committees of the Board of Directors. Develops strategies to increase volunteer involvement at all levels of financial development.
4. Develops processes and is actively involved in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gift prospects. Maintains database resource file on top community leaders.
5. Prepares and coordinates proposals for grants from government sources and private foundations.
6. Develops systems and manages resources needed to carry out the fundraising plans. Establishes and monitors the financial development department budget for the YMCA.
7. Develops appropriate fundraising policies and procedures for the association.
8. Tracks all gifts and pledges by source and purpose and provides reports as needed.
9. Produces end of year letters to donors for tax purposes.
10. Provides training in fundraising. Educates, motivates and provides feedback to individuals related to best practices in the fundraising process.
11. Develops communication plans to insure members, participants, and the community understand the case for support. May plan and direct the marketing and communication plan; may plan and oversee the association annual meeting, annual reports, newsletters, brochures and reports.
12. Represents the association as required by the President / CEO.
13. Performs other job related duties as requested and necessary.
Mission Advancement: Incorporates the Y’s mission and values into the organization’s vision and strategies. Ensures community engagement; promotes the global nature of the Y. Leads a culture of volunteerism ensuring engagement, inclusion, and ownership. Leads a culture of philanthropy.
Collaboration: Advocates for and institutionalizes inclusion and diversity throughout the organization. Initiates the development of relationships with influential leaders to impact and strengthen the community. Is recognized as an inspirational community leader who navigates complex political and social circles with ease. Communicates to engage and inspire people within and outside the YMCA. Ensures that a talent management system is in place and executed effectively.
Operational Effectiveness: Possesses penetrating insight and strong strategic and critical thinking skills. Invests resources in well-designed innovation initiatives. Creates a structure to deliver organization-wide results to achieve objectives. Develops and implements stewardship strategies. Determines benchmarks and ensures appropriate leadership to meet objectives.
Personal Growth: Creates a learning organization. Effectively drives change by leveraging resources and creating alignment to expand organizational opportunities. Shares authority and demonstrates courage andhumility. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
CFRA designation a plus.
Local candidates only please.
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.