Join the growing YMCA of Greater San Antonio Association. This position is located at our Thousand Oaks Family YMCA location.
San Antonio, TX
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, this position is responsible for planning and organizing all aquatic activities and programs, hiring and training new staff, training branch staff in lifeguarding, CPR Pro, O2, and First Aid, fiscal management; and member satisfaction. Will develop, organize, and implement high quality, member-focused YMCA aquatic programs.
- Bachelor's degree in physical education, recreation or related field from an accredited college or university.
- One to three years of recreation, pool management, lifeguard, swim instructor, or water park experience and/or equivalent combination of education, training and experience is required.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Experience supervising staff and developing pool and class schedules is required.
- Must have a current certifications in: YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, and Oxygen Administration; YMCA Swim Instructor certification is preferred.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Certifications required within the first week of hire: Redwoods Bloodborne Pathogens, Defensive Driving, and Hazardous Communications
- A Texas Driver’s license is required as well as capacity to drive to various locations within the greater San Antonio metropolitan area.
- Work is performed in a fast-paced office, and indoor/outdoor aquatic environments. Position requires attending meetings at different off-site locations.
- Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to safely supervise aquatics activities.
- Visual acuity is required for reading computer screens and/or documents and making changes as necessary/required.
- Job requires high levels of alertness and concentration. This position requires analytical abilities and multitasking in order to identify problems and recommend solutions.
- Job requires accuracy and attention to detail, organizational, and time management skills, while maintaining high levels of initiative in order to work within deadlines.
- Occasional stooping and bending with regular lifting of up to 20 pounds is required.
- Incumbent must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time, as well as, able to manipulate keyboards, telephone keypads, and writing utensils.
- Manages all aspects of lifeguard and aquatics safety.
- Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Secures and schedules pool facilities. Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance.
- Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, First Aid and CPR trainings.
- Creates and schedules swim classes, water fitness classes, and swim team practices and meets, and pool parties.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to
- all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Participate as a cabinet member in one of the quality teams relating to work.
- Prepares statistical data as needed by Branch, Association, and/or United Way including monthly variance reports. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation
- in program.
- Assist with Branch operations, works as Staff On and supports branch administrative projects.
- Follow systems, practices, and training related to risk management and safety of participants and staff, and follow accident report procedures and policies.
- Maintains a professional image and manner consistent with the YMCA mission and goals.
- Other duties as assigned
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships
to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.