Assistant Director of Camp Frank A. Day
The West Suburban YMCA is looking for a dynamic and reliable individual to join our team as the Assistant Director of Camp Frank A. Day.
East Brookfield, MA 01515-
The Assistant Camp Director is responsible for helping the Camp Director operate and implement a safe, wholesome and high quality program for all attending camp. This position is responsible to carry out the mission and values of the West Suburban YMCA at Camp Frank A. Day. Also to assist the Director of Camping Operations with all pre and post-camp administration work for CFAD.
- B.S. or equivalent in recreation, education or a related discipline.
- Prior camp staff experience for at least three years; camp administrative experience for at least one year.
- Ability to take initiative, be highly organized, effectively communicate, and manage groups.
- Ability in program planning and implementation.
- At least 23 years old.
- Desire and ability to live and work in a camp setting.
- Good role model, high integrity, and adaptable.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Positive attitude and ability to build a cohesive team.
- Current First Aid and Adult and Child CPR certifications.
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Current First Aid and Adult and Child CPR certifications.
Required annual safety trainings.
1. Assist registrar with registration process.
2. Assist with phone calls, billing, payment plans, refundsp and collections.
3. Assis with communication projects (new camper welcome packets, recruitment).
4. Help with on-site camp events and projects as needed.
5. Camp staff paperwork (collection, recording, submitting to HR, communication with Staff)
6. Assist with Board of Health Licensing
7. Assume responsibility for camp program & scheduling.
8. Assist in the planning and implementation of all aspects of staff training
9. Help with camper recruitment (i.e. camp fairs, home shows).
10. Assume full responsibility of summer camp operations when the Camp Director is not present.
11. Ensure all staff are following and enforcing all rules as well as fulfilling all expectations and their assigned duties.
12. Directly supervise all unit staff and assist them in meeting goals. Evaluate, twice a summer, all program staff. Plan & provide atmosphere of high staff morale.
13. Correct and document, as necessary, situations that endanger the emotional or physical safety of any person.
14. Routinely evaluate the effectiveness of all programs and staff to meet the mission of the YMCA.
15. Serve as a liaison between summer camp at Camp Frank A Day and other programs using camp (i.e. Chickami, other rentals).
16. Follow established health and safety standards of the YMCA, ACA and Dept. of Public Health.
17. Demonstrate and teach the values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility to all campers and staff.
18. Maintain positive public relations with parents, visitors and the general public at all times.
19. Handle all scheduling and assignments of campers and staff for the entire day.
20. Assist Camp Director in pre-camp preparations.
21. Make sure every activity and group are staffed and planned appropriately.
22. Maintain knowledge of whereabouts of groups in the morning and afternoon and staff in the evening.
23. Works directly with Specialists to provide assistance and support in developing activities that will engage and stimulate campers of all ages.
24. Maintain visible and positive interaction with all staff and campers at all times.
25. Enact camp emergency procedures when warranted.
26. Meet with assigned staff to talk about personal growth and development.
27. Capable to respond appropriately to emergencies and situations requiring First Aid and CPR.
28. Assists with end of camp procedures.
29. Willingness to go above and beyond written job description when asked.
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.