Join the Camp Watia team in the beautiful Appalachian mountains in Western NC!
Bryson City, NC 28713-
Under the direction and guidance of the Executive Camp Director and consistent with the mission of the YMCA and the policies and guidelines of the YMCA of Western North Carolina, the Camp Counselor will perform tasks related to a camp environment. The Camp Counselor will be responsible for the supervision, programming, and safety of campers assigned to his/her group and/or cabin. The Camp Counselor will greet everyone by name whenever possible, extend thanks whenever appropriate, and make relationship-building the highest priority at all times. The Camp Counselor must be willing to live in a resident camp setting for the duration of the camp season.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Supervise structured and unstructured activities
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of the campers served
- Interact appropriately with campers in a variety of situations
- Appropriately model behavior and use positive behavior management techniques
- Lead small and large group activities
- Participate in all aspects of camp programming
- Adhere to and uphold all safety standards of the YMCA of Western North Carolina
- Carry out all schedules and maintain appropriate records
- Identify and respond appropriately to hazards and emergencies
- Any other duties that are needed
- Maintain a clean cabin environment
- Assist with maintenance of the camp property
Education and Experience Requirements
- Must be 18 years or older
- High School Diploma
- Experience in a camp environment
The Ideal Candidate Possesses:
- Ability to teach and supervise youth
- Interest, knowledge and skills in a variety of camp program fields
- Enthusiasm and sense of humor
- Current in CPR, and First Aid certifications
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift and move up to 50 pounds and transport equipment and supplies from one location to another
- Ability to visibly observe children
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time
- Ability to hear distress signals even when distracted by noise or activity
- Ability to reason, solve problems, and make sound decisions even when distracted
- Ability to work in a variety of environments, specifically those subject to extreme heat and humidity
- Ability to observe and promote safety and security procedures
- Developing Others
- Decision Making
- Emotional Maturity
Supervisory responsibilities include:
- Supervision of campers and CITs
- Ability to demonstrate and lead activities
Effect on End Result:
Campers will be given a memorable and meaningful camp experience. The YMCA of WNC will be recognized by the community as providing excellent service to all who contact or interact with us. The YMCA of WNC will effectively connect and build relationships with its members and the community, resulting in increased member enrollment, camp enrollment, and retention. This position will contribute to consistent and superior member and participant service and satisfaction, resulting in continued growth in membership, programs, and special services.
Salary is $215 per Week per the Seasonal Camp Exemption
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.