Patient, Caring, Creative, Servant Leader
Wolcottville, IN 46795-
YMCA Camp Potawotami, a Resident Camp located in Northeast Indiana on Blackman Lake is looking for Summer Resident Camp Counselors who possess these traits. Our camp serves 100 campers per week, with a wide variety of activities that provide kids ages 6-16 with week-long camping adventures that increase their sense of accomplishment and belonging while learning positive character traits and values to last a life time.
YMCA Camp Potawotami is looking for Summer Resident Camp Counselors. Our program provides week-long overnight experiences for kids ages 6-16. Counselors live with a fellow staff member and 10-12 campers of similar age. Counselors act as role models, teachers, parents, nature guides, entertainers, and inspirations to their campers. The position requires maturity, creativity, and a strong commitment to the YMCA mission. Counselors lead skill classes in the morning and cabin activities in the afternoon.
- Candidates must be at least 19 years of age. Resident Camp experience is a plus.
- Dates of employment are May 27 - July 22, 2017.
- Salary Information: $260 per week plus room and board.
- Applicant must be at least 19 years old with high school diploma or have completed Camp’s Leadership Program.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Excellent human relation and supervisory skills.
- Math and record keeping proficiency.
- Breadth of knowledge about the outdoor environment.
- A high level of organization, flexibility, and ability to handle difficult situations effectively and possess values relative to the YMCA mission.
- A warm and friendly personality and the ability to communicate effectively with staff, parents and children in one-on-one as well as large group settings.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lead, demonstrate, and/or participate in indoor/outdoor activities for a sustained period of time.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit and stoop, kneel or crouch, crawl, talk and hear. May occasionally be required to climb or balance.
- The employee frequently reaches with hands or arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
- The employee will frequently be required audibly to address large groups of people in indoor and outdoor settings.
- Fulfill Y’s mission to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all.
- Promote and incorporate the YMCA core values and mission into all aspects of the job and in the community.
- Connect with each individual student quickly, establishing a relationship within the first few hours of meeting. Interact with
students, teachers, parents, and other staff.
- Develop and plan camp activities. Participates 100% with campers’ activities, involved in all games and activities with the
campers; never “sitting on the sidelines.” Promote diversity by including all campers.
- Plan and organize activities with individuals and groups; working proactively and showing spontaneity, creativity, and flexibility.
- Coordinate program operation between various camp departments.
- Train staff in adventure education as well as teach and monitor proper use of equipment.
- Minimize potential problems among students by recognizing danger signals and quickly and effectively diagnosing and creating plans to resolve these potential conflicts. Fill out all incident/ accident forms as necessary and submit to the supervisor immediately.
- Executes day-to-day responsibilities to create a safe, secure, and enjoyable environment for campers. Ensure that site emergency plans are followed when necessary.
- Prepare fee and attendance statements. Maintain and prepare attendance records.
- Attend all training workshops, association or staff meetings.
- Promote campers returning by maintaining good records, regular contact with campers, and assisting in developing brochures, flyers, etc.
- Adhere to ACA standards. As well as know and follow all rules related to ropes course according to ACCT, ACA, YMCA, and other related best practices.
- Follow YMCA transportation procedures and only transport campers in YMCA provided vehicles.
- Serve as a member of Y management and supports the overall objectives of the YMCA.
- Participate as an active team member for the overall advancement of the Association.
- Perform any additional tasks assigned by supervisors.
$260 per week plus room and board
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.